Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Jello Love

I love food. Real food, that is.

Food without ingredients. Organic food. Whole food. Food with health and vitality. Wild food. Local food.
Beautiful food. Food as medicine. Food that nourishes and transorms body, mind and spirit.

I'll be sharing more...recipes, pics, ideas, thoughts.

Here's the first one.

Herbal Jello
2 cups of liquid total. I use a combination of berry juice, herbal infusions.
Gelatin or agar
Flowers

Prepare the liquid. I like to use raspberry juice or sour cheery as a base. To make the juice I use approx 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries or fruit, add enough water to cover and then simmer until the juice is extracted. Strain the juice from the pulp.

Prepare your herbal infusion. I like to use rose hips, hawthorn berries, elderberries. 1 cup of dried berries to 4 cups of water. Decoct down until the liquid is reduced by half ie 2 cups. I also like to add some nourishing herbal infusion - raspberry leaf is my favourite. I like the flavour and I like the refrigerant properties.

Mix the berry juice with the herbal infusion so that you have 2 cups of liquid. Add sweetener to taste.
This is the amount that one package of gelatin will set. Follow the instructions on the gelatin packet. If you are a vegetarian you can use agar as a substitute for the gelatin.

Pour the gelatin, infusion mixture in to a pretty bowl. Let sit under the top is tacky. Decorate with flowers. Let sit until firm.

Serve as is or with homemade yogurt or whipped cream from Breezy the Cow!

Chock full of flavanoids, anthocyanidins, Vit C, Calcium and more.

Photo credit: Tammy Fairbrother 



2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I'm looking forward to making this! I agree with you, I also love natural, organic, fresh, local food! Thank you for sharing this recipe. :)
    Spreading the Love!

    ReplyDelete